The CBD Titration Paradigm
The CBD dosages below are only rough guides, and the recommended method is for you to start small and see how your symptoms persist before ingesting larger and larger amounts. Begin with low dosages and make gradual increases in intake as requirement for a desired effect or treatment outcome.
This is called the CBD Titration Paradigm: Think T.E.S.L.I.
- Take note of your symptoms on a 1-10 scale
- Enjoy your Herby wellness edible, pill, or gummy
- Start your dosing Small (5mg-10mg of CBD)
- Let some time elapse (30-90 minutes)
- Cannabinoids taken in edible formats have actions that are spread over a much longer period of time than when they are smoked or vaporized
- Increase your dosing if your symptoms persist (by 10mg-20mg of CBD) It is important to stress that commencing with a low dosage of all CBD products is a product approach for the initial introduction of CBD wellness therapy. This circumstance is particularly important when using larger dosages of CBD edibles. Seeking the effective dosage of CBD is best undertaken as a cooperative project
between the patient and physician or other knowledgeable healthcare practitioners.
“Recommended” CBD Doses
The dosages below cannot–we repeat–cannot be interpreted as “safe” or “accepted” dosages for disease treatment. Users of CBD should consult a health care practitioner for more detailed discussions. Applications for disease should be monitored by a healthcare professional.
The following conditions and average, approximate dosages of CBD are as follows:
- Anxiety (2 mg of CBD every 8-12 hours). Higher dosage may be required often for severe cases.
- Sleeplessness (40-160 mg of CBD, sublingually ideally). Favorable results with lower dosages have been experiences depending on the type of sleep disorder.
- Schizophrenia (40-1280 mg of CBD for four weeks, sublingually ideally). Dosage requirement is highly variable.
- Neuropathic pain (Initial dosage of 2 mg of CBD a.m., 2 mg of CBD p.m.,with increase to 20 mg of CBD per 24-hour period.) May need THC Added.
- Musculoskeletal pain (Dosing variable and often individualized up to 15 mg of CBD per 24-hour period.) Relief may be present with or without the addition of THC.
WHAT IS THE OPTIMAL DOSAGE OF CBD?
An effective dosage can range from as little as a few milligrams of CBD-enriched cannabis oil to a gram or more. Begin with a small dose of high CBD, especially if you have little or no experience with CBDs. Take a few small doses over the course of the day rather than one big dose. Use the same dose and ratio for several days. Observe the effects and if necessary adjust the ratio or amount. Don’t overdo it. Cannabis compounds have biphasic properties, which means that low and high doses of the same substance can produce opposite effects. Small doses of cannabis tend to stimulate; large doses sedate. CBD has no known adverse side effects, but an excessive amount of CBD could be less effective therapeutically than a moderate dose. “Less is more” is often the case with respect to cannabis therapy.
HOW MUCH CBD OIL SHOULD I TAKE?
The amount of CBD that you should take to achieve the best results varies by individual. Each person’s optimal dosage or serving size is based on a variety of factors. These include body chemistry, genetics, weight, and physical condition.
The purpose of this dosing guide is to give you tips on where to start and how to go about finding your optimal or “sweet spot” dosage. The CBD dosage calculator on this page is also a useful tool for converting dosage levels, which are commonly expressed in milligrams of CBD, into milliliters of liquid or drops, so you know how much to take.
The 3 Golden Rules of CBD Dosing
Before we talk about the process for finding your optimal dose, it’s important to understand the 3 basic principles of CBD dosing.
There is no “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to how much CBD you should take. Some users get their desired results from as little as 1 milligram of CBD daily, whereas others find that they need over 100 milligrams per day. Finding your personal “sweet spot” dosage will involve some experimentation and adjustments over time.
Getting the dosage right is critically important to achieving success with CBD. Its importance is often overlooked or understated. Taking too little or too much is the #1 mistake made by new users. Some of them just give up in frustration and declare that CBD doesn’t work for them. In reality, it may have worked if they had followed a process to find their optimal dose.
It is typically best to start low and gradually increase the dosage over time until you find your “sweet spot” where you experience the desired results. Less is often more when it comes to CBD dosing. Patience is also essential during the process. While some people get results immediately, many report not seeing results for weeks or even months.
The Importance of Finding Your Optimal Dose
Taking either too low of a dose or too high of a dose will not give you the best chance of success with CBD. If your dose is too small, you may not feel any effects at all. And if your dose is too high, you may experience undesirable results such as headaches, nausea or a general worsening of symptoms.
The bell curve graph below is a visual representation of dosage levels and expected benefits from CBD. The obvious goal is to find your optimal dose that gives you the highest benefits. The green vertical line expresses this point in the center of the graph.
How to Calculate the Potency of CBD Oil Drops
Before you start the process of finding your optimal dose, it’s a good idea to know the potency of the product that you’ll be using. The potency of CBD oil drops (tinctures) varies widely and is commonly expressed in terms of milligrams (mg) of CBD per millilliter (ml).
Generally, a product with less than 15 mg/ml is considered low-potency, a product with between 15-49 mg/ml is regarded as standard potency, and a product with 50 mg/ml or more is considered high-potency. You’ll need to take more of a low-potency product compared to a high-potency one to achieve the same dosage level.
To calculate the potency of your product, just divide the total number of milligrams of CBD in the bottle by the total amount of liquid in milliliters. Both of these numbers can be commonly found on the product label or the company’s website.